Tuesday, August 22, 2006

BACK TO REALITY

I'm back to work tomorrow. Back to 6:30 am alarms, bag lunches and routine. I'm bummed. I wish I could stay on holiday for - oh - at least another six months. Or that's what I believe. In reality I would probably get bored and be dying to get back to work. Right? I have to believe that. It's just that I so love taking my time waking up in the morning, or jumping out of bed the minute the sun hits my face through the open window to rush outside and water the garden - pull some weeds or pick the veggies. My choice. Nice to have one. That's what I like about holidays. I like not having anything I have to do and being able to sit and read a book, or snooze in my lawn chair, or go for swim, call a friend, go for a walk, etc, etc......

Most people think we school secretaries get the whole summer off. They're always so surprised when I tell them I work in the summer time. Sometimes it's actually so busy it's hard to even get a short break in the summer. This year I got 2 weeks. No wonder I'm not ready to go back.

Once I do get back to work, though, and reality actually sets in and school starts, the routine will start to flow and I'll actually find it oddly comforting. I know it. Life's been this way for me for almost 20 years.

Maybe part of me is apprehensive because I'm going to a new job. But I think it's going to be a good change! Working in an elementary school from 8-2:30 for the same $$ as I made in my previous job at the highschool working 8-4pm sounds wonderful. And the job is easier, quieter in a lot of ways. I've done it before, so I do know what I'm talking about and what I'm in for. It will almost be like still being on holiday! Right?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm surprised that you only got 2 weeks off. My dad is principal of a middle school and he gets 6 weeks off in the summer -- I always assumed that the whole school (including the office) shut down for that same amount of time. If it makes you feel any better, he went back to work on Monday.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I am now eagerly awaiting the tomatoes... It's weird actually, I have two plants and the little stubby one is putting out lots of tiny red tomatoes, but the tomatoes on the big plant, while very large, don't seem to be changing colour??? Maybe they are meant to be green?

I know what you mean about the lack of do-it-yourself in the future generations, my grandma did everything from scratch, and my mom really rebelled against that, so I grew up in a very "store bought" home as far as food was concerned. But naturally I must continue the cycle of rebellion!! I can't wait to have a house and my own garden, oooh and a deep freeze, and a pantry!

Hope work is going well:)

9:58 AM  
Blogger jess! said...

my dad is a vice principal and my mom is a secretary and she only got about 3-4 weeks this year.. thats weird how its different everywhere! she works into july and goes back in the middle end of august.
i hope you enjoy your new job! my mom recently switched schools and she is much happier where she is. ill send her good vibes your way.
and also, thank you for the salsa recipe, i ended up making some as well!!

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home